Monday, February 20, 2012

So What's Up (or Down) With The Easyboot?






Sierra is barefoot, 7x365. Just before a recent recreational trail ride, I commented to her owner how Sierra would (rather determinedly) move from one side of the trail to the other, often running into my leg to stay straight. I thought this to be an effort to avoid stones and gravel, and the generally hard footing here in the mountains, and suggested that perhaps she should be shod. The owner asked if I had ever tried an Easyboot Glove, that she just happened to have, but really hadn't used much. I'd never used Easyboots except for medical purposes, but said "Sure, let's see what happens".

Not 100 yards down the road, I was astounded. Not only did Sierra realize she no longer had to avoid the stones, but her neck and head magically went into the frame I'd been asking her to hold for the last several weeks - on loose rein! Sierra was never bad at holding frame, but would inexplicably "pop" her head occasionally, causing me to ask her to re-frame.

That's all completely, 100%, in the past. Now, I know that Sierra was apprehensive about stones, perhaps running into them sometimes. No more head-pops, she holds a low and collected frame on her own all the time, and increased traction on hard surfaces is a bonus.  Also, the "gloves" do not apparently affect break-over.

I don't actually know, but I suppose rubber shoes might accomplish the same thing - but those would have to be changed every six weeks, and the Glove needs to be replaced only when the tread wears out - replacing just the screw-attached sole once or twice a year (depending on mileage, wear-n-tear).

I'm completely sold on "Gloves".

No comments:

Post a Comment